Sunday, January 22, 2012

Shout Out Sunday: Water Marbling

 Today's Shout Out Sunday is all about a popular nail painting technique. Water Marbling. I had tried this technique for myself after seeing a couple tutorials on youtube. Unfortunately, despite using the same nail polishes in the tutorial i could not figure it out. I tried a few times after that, achieving the same results. I gave up the technique all together thinking that it wasn't for me. Then a few nights ago i was doing my friend Jackie's nails and after a few failed attempts at a creative manicure she decided she wanted me to give water marbling another go. I was hesitant at first but figured we'd already tried and failed twice, what harm could another shot do. It actually worked this time. I was so excited i couldn't wait to go home and try it out on my own nails.


Jackie's Manicure:
  • Base coat: Sally Hansen Nail Growth Miracle
  • 1 coat: Sally Hansen Diamond Strength in Black Diamond
  • 2 coats: Pure Ice in Jaguar
  • Marbling:
    • Pure Ice in Jaguar
    • L'Oreal nail polish in Owl's Lust
 My manicure(1)
  • Base coat: Sally Hansen Nail Growth Miracle
  • 2 coats: Sally Hansen Hard as Nails in White Tip
  • Marbling:
    • Wet 'n' Wild Fast Dry in FuchsiaRama
    • Wet 'n' Wild Fast Dry in Saved by the Blue
    • Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in Caribbean Coral
My manicure(2)
  • Base coat: Sally Hansen Nail Growth Miracle
  • 2 coats: Sally Hansen Hard as Nails in White Tip
  • Marbling:
    • Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in Pink Boa
    • Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in Caribbean Coral
    • Pure Ice in Jamaica Me Crazy
    • Sally Hansen Hard as Nails in White Tip
 Here is the first tutorial i saw and the one i failed at recreating from SimpleLittlePleasues . Maybe you will have better luck with this one. In addition to many more water marbling tutorials SimpleLittlePleasues has detailed tutorials on the basics of water marbling as well as regular nail art tutorials.
The best advice i feel i can give is the classic if at first you dont succeed try, try again. If i had only kept trying i would have figured out this technique a lot sooner. Besides that here are a few ideas i have come up with.
  • Use filtered room temperature water. I used tap water that was a bit warmer than room temp. I found that warmer water actually works better for me.
  • Use a slow drying nail polish. My polishes from Wet 'n' Wild claim to be fast drying and i didn't even notice until i started typing this. They worked fine. I wont make the claim that all quick drying polishes will work. What i recommend is that you experiment with different polishes to see for yourself what will and wont work.
Good luck if you decide to give water marbling a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment